Kidney is an organ which is responsible in the function of excretion of body wastes. This organ resides in the dorsal abdomen, one in the left and other in the right. Its basic function is to filter the blood through the glomerulus to form the filtrate, which is then on the whole reabsorbed along the nephron.
The kidneys as a set body metabolism balancing organ are playing a vital role in the balancing of total water in an organism. This does vary with their excretion of water in relation to the hydration status of the animal. The functions of the kidneys are involved in maintaining an appropriate volume and composition of plasma membrane with regulating water, ions and pH levels. The function of the kidneys let them achieve a proper functioning through its elementary substituent through glomerular filtration, solute reabsorption, tubular secretion, water balance and acid – base regulation. This is one of the significant organs that would associate with purification of blood being described with wiki sickness.
Understanding the fundamental unit
The nephron is the functional unit of kidney where urine is produced, both the kidneys contain around millions of nephron where one single nephron confirms the function of the kidney, it is composed of;-
- A glomerulus of tiny capillary blood vessels
- A long tubule in which the filtered fluid is converted to urine on its way to the pelvis of the kidney that would be video visualized on wiki sickness.
Kidney related disorder
Blood enters the glomerulus through the afferent tubules and leaves through the afferent tubules performing the function as a filter in the formation of urine. Whereas the other parts of the system perform primarily as a passage way and storage place.
- Polycystic kidney – it’s a disorder of kidney in which a cystic genetic disorder is which is characterized by presence of multiple cysts typically in both the kidneys. This disease can also damage the liver, pancreases and in extreme cases it can also damage the heart and brain.
- Inherited and congenital kidney diseases :- certain kidney disorders results from the hereditary factors like that of polycystic kidney diseases which is a genetic disorder and is signified by growth of cysts in the kidneys, which further increase in mass to reduce the kidney function and leads to kidney failure.
- Nephrotic syndrome: – it is a nonspecific disorder that occurs when the kidney’s glomeruli are damaged, causing leakage of protein into the urine and edema.
- IgA Nephropathy: – This disease is characterized by build-up of a protein called IgA within the kidneys, leading to inflammation of the glomeruli; also known as Berger’s disease.
- Acute kidney diseases: – This is sudden loss of kidney function that occurs when high levels of waste products of the body’s metabolism accumulate in the blood. This occurs when the kidney is unable to get rid of the daily toxins in the urine and it causes serious complications.